Disclaimer

The contents of this blog are my own, and do not reflect the position, views, or policies of the United States Government or the United States Peace Corps.

Friday, December 2, 2011

December in Africa

Happy December, All!

It blew my mind yesterday when I realized that it was December already! November certainly flew by in some regards, but in other ways it feels like I have been here for months. I'd like to put some pictures [it sure is a good thing I got the HUGE memory card because i'm the Tanzanian paparazzi] up here, but as you all know, my technological capacity is so limited even in the states. I'm hoping to figure it all out better once i'm in my "home."

Anyway, this past week has been SHADOW week, where all of us trainees follow around a "real" PCV for a week to see how they live, cook, cope with small furry house guests, and "kick it in the Vil." Since I'm staying where I'm training, I was very excited to learn I'd be visiting another region, wayyyyyy across the country for shadow, Mbeya. The bus ride, while a whole experience in itself, took us through a National Park. And folks, it was just "stepping into the sun" (lion king ref!)! I SAW ELEPHANTS! ZEBRAS! GIRAFFES! In the wild! It was such an awesome experience, and if we were standing out enough on the bus, our reaction to the animals pretty much made the other passengers stare/smile/laugh at us. The six other PCT's and I got on the bus around 9:30 am, and got to the shadow region after 8:00 pm, so you can imagine how happy we were to get here. We all got to hang out in "town" the first night/day, then headed to our separate villages with another PCT and the PCV. Mbeya is a beautiful region, and while mountain-y [not sure if that's a word], its a completely different landscape. Michelle and I stayed with Jessica, who taught us the ropes! Basically we got to cook and eat non-Tanzanian food (no rice! Quisedillas with Velveeta, Pancakes, homemade Guacamole, bean burgers!), and relax, which we don't get alot of in training. We hiked a mountain/large hill/call it what you want, and visited her Zahanati (clinic/place I want to help out at), and visited with some villagers. Living on my own will definitely be a change, but I was relieved to find out I'd be able to get popcorn-- rest assured I won't starve, Mom. I'll probably be doing alot of "nesting" the first few months as I begin to figure out my place in the village and the jobs I"ll take on. I'm moving into a house where a Volunteer lived for two years, and just left in July, so I may already have some furnishings, which would be great the first night! December 15th is the big day, so please keep me in  your prayers/thoughts/good vibes as I jump the next hurdle!

I have only one more week with my homestay family, and while sometimes I thought training would last forever, its going to be very bittersweet to leave such a kind family. I'll have to heat my own bath water? Who will shoo away the rats? Haha. Seriously though, they were a great family for me as I began to experience what it means to live in Tanzania. I have only a glimpse of what that actually means, but over the course of two years I will begin to. Like today, as I saw men and women working their fields with a Jembe (like a hoe), I thought to myself, is it really 2011? Life is slower, and in some ways simpler here, and I am looking forward to the amazing lesson in patience and flexibility that I'm sure is in store.

To the family/friends/others that I haven't been able to get a letter to yet, please accept my apologies. I was hoping the blog to be a letter to all, and then supplemement with actual letters, but the strenuous training/learning to keep house/visiting schedule for training leaves little free time. I have been thinking of you!!

One final random note, I have been wearing a sweatshirt the last few days we've been down here in the cold(er) region! It's crazy as I am perpetually warm/sweating/a hot mess in Tanga, but then again the freezing water shower at night has made me appreciate the warm weather of Tanga too. At  least I can say I wore a sweatshirt in December this year! :) Talking to family at home and hearing about the freezing weather/rain, I do have to say "Pole". IL weather is one thing I do not miss! So think of me when you have to throw on the extra sweater, haha.:)

Maybe one day I'll have one of those blogs where each post focuses on one thing, and is concise, witty, and informative. But for now, thanks for bearing with me as I spew information and random thoughts with choppy, misspelled sentences. I haven't changed that much yet!

I don't know if I'll be able to blog before Christmas, so a HUGE MERRY CHRISTMAS to all my loved ones! This is my favorite time of year, and I am wishing you all the merriest of christmases from Africa!

Oh yeah, I do have a phone now, and i hear skype is reasonable if any of you are so inclined to chat.. hint hint, haha. Love the letters and greetings from home too! [Thanks Rose and Evan for my first Christmas Card in Africa! and Grandma! Six!]

Merry Christmas and Seasons Greetings from under the beautiful African Sun!

1 comment: