Disclaimer

The contents of this blog are my own, and do not reflect the position, views, or policies of the United States Government or the United States Peace Corps.

Friday, June 8, 2012

Baby Steps, Breezes, and Blister Beetles

Alright, pardon the delayed absence. My own mother scolded me for not blogging, but the past month or so has been full, as my alliteration-y title suggests.

EndofApril/May/June has flown by much faster than the previous five months or so. While all things are important, I must note that I have now officially cooked on my charcoal jiko, with help from two different neighbors to get the darn thing started. My cooking skills are still clearly sub-par on both American and Tanzanian standards, but for some reason, I'm packing on the pounds again. My rationalization is the weather. Referencing the unyeilding heat mentioned in previous posts, I am happy (no, OVERJOYED) to announce the "cold season" has arrived in Muheza district. My neighbors and friends keep commenting on the upepo kali (cold wind) and how they are just so cold they have to wear jackets. Its literally 75-80 degrees F, but for people who are used to the scorching heat of Tanga region the other 11 months, I guess I can see how the absolutely beautiful, breezey, sunny, gorgeous, little-bit-of-rainy weather would be a shock. But as you can tell, I'm a happy camper and sleep like a baby (well a colicky baby, but still not sweating to death in my sleep anymore).

Speaking of babies, Selhy has begun to walk! Selhati, the absolute love of my life-little neighbor baby, has just turned one, and is walking a bit, jabbering in indistinguishable baby jabber, and can ALMOST pump out "shel-shee" (what most of the other kids manage for my name). I have definitely taken on the attitude of "its takes a village to raise a child" with her, trying to stop by and hold her/play with her a few days a week (I'm good friends with her mom, aunts, and gma, so its always lovely visit). Her older sister, equally adorable, and I were drawing with chalk on the stoop the other afternoon, and Selhy saw us and just really wanted to join in. She took a few teetering steps, got nervous, and plopped down on her tiny hiney. Realizing she wasn't quite there yet, she got back up and taritibu -ly (carelfully) managed her way to where the portrait-drawing-action was.

My first few weeks "on the job" were a bit like Selha and her new walking quest. Walking the 15 minute or so walk to the Secondary School the first day I taught "Life Skills" (we've now covered hand-washing and peer pressure), I was beyond nervous and unsure, but figured I had to "fake it til I make it" kind-of-thing. Walking into a classroom of 35-50 teenagers expecting you to know what you are doing, and do it well in another LANGUAGE is a bit intimidating, but after a few chuckles (on both sides) due to language mix ups, and explaining how I expect things to go, the classes are going well and they seem to be enjoying it. Especially the Maswali ya Leo (Questions of the Day), which is a sheet I pass around and the students are able to write (anonymously) questions about health, sex, America, or whatever they want. You can only imagine some of the ones i've gotten so far. :) Its a good way for us to cover some topics they are never taught and have no one else to go with to. Like I said, it's only been a few different classes so far, as I teach two Forms a week and the other two the next week, but its moving along well. Having other PCV friends doing the same thing has been a blessing as well, as we can compare notes and war-stories. :)

Teaching outside the Zahanati (dispensary/clinic) was also nerve wracking, in some ways, more so. Here was I not only teaching in Swahili but to adults, and about health topics, so I better know my stuff! The staff (2 nurses, lab tech, and clinical officier ("dr")), stop what they are doing, come stand outside with me and help me by encouraging the waiting patients (our captive audience) to answer my questions and also helping me to answer questions from the crowd. I didn't know they were going to be such a big help, but let me tell you, it has gone so much more smoothly than if I didn't have the help! I ask/suggest what topic I cover each month. EndofApril/May was Malaria, which is a HUGE problem here, and June is Kipindupindu (cholera)     [side note- isn't that a hilarous name for cholera? As my friend Megan so elequouently puts it, "I can't be scared of a disease that sounds so cute"]     because of an outbreak in our district recently (its the rainy season and without any drainage/waste management, you get the picture, problems!), so I teach about cholera and diarahea. Didn't think I'd be drawing and talking about poop quite so much this early on, but hey its fun.

June is going to be the month of trainings! I'm off to DAR for "warden training" in a few weeks, where I will put my previous fire-marshalling skills to work to help protect the volunteers in my region in case of emergency. :). Basically I'll call the other two girls and say we have to meet somewhere if there is a natural disaster/war/or some other reason PC tells us to get out. It should be fun, and I get to see a few other PCV's and hang out in AC and drink frappecinos. Not a bad deal. The other training is for Zinduka, a soccer program that teaches youth about HIV/AIDS. I'm starting an in and out of school youth/boys and girls soccer/sports/health club (we obviously need a name) with Joyce and a Secondary School teacher, and we are so excited! The training will also provide more PCV fellowship and a chance to see another region (want to hit them all during my 2 years!) I'm going to try to be in the village as much as possible this month, but as you can see certain trips to town are warranted (this weekend, new phone, dowloading still more books on my poor nook that got deleted, and a pcv visitor!). Its all about a balance, and I think the past two months have helped me to find mine. :)

So I haven't started any major "building-the-village-a-water-tank/school" projects yet; but, I've decided to take this job/adventure/opportunity just like Selha, one step at a time. While I want to do as much good and help the village as much as I can during my service, I remind myself everyday that it is a process and I will be here for another year and a half. I want the people to KNOW me, and understand what I'm here for and know I do truly care for them before I start a whole huge project they or I aren't ready for; I'd rather they come to me with something we can work on together. So if this means I have to keep playing babies, and making vijana (youth) and wazee (elderly) alike laugh at my badly pronounced Swahili, so be it. :)

Feeling slightly cooler, happy, and now blister-free,
Chels

[Forgot the blister beetle story! So one day I was thinking I got a sunburn on the back on my calf and knee cap (not sure why or how I thought I got this wearing long skirts everyday-my pasty white legs can attest to this), but it turned into full on HUGE blisters with red swollen patches around it. In other words, I was even more attractive than I normally am everyday. I had to go to Megan's site for a PC mandated flu shot from the PC doc, and had him look it just to be sure. Sure enough, I got stung by the blister beetle (Nairobi fly). Another awesome story (and hopefully not scar!) for the grandkids I guess!]

2 comments:

  1. Commenting so you know that I read this, haha! I love the stories about Selha--can't wait to meet her. I think she is the one you are going to have the most trouble leaving behind when you come back. :( I like the title this time--catchy and good alliteration! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chel, your blog is so positive! I'm so proud of you for being strong and making it. I know my experience is not even a tenth of the difficulties of yours, but you're learning so much and helping so many people. I can't believe you've been gone like 8 months..so crazy! It must be nice to have 80 degree weather..here it's around 50-60 so it doesn't quite feel like our winters back home, but it definitely isn't summer.
    Stay strong and keep going, I know you can! Love you!

    ReplyDelete