Disclaimer

The contents of this blog are my own, and do not reflect the position, views, or policies of the United States Government or the United States Peace Corps.

Monday, October 8, 2012

Excuses, Newbs, and Maisha Plus

PREFACE: Initially, I thought I'd have a witty, up-to-date, informative, class act of a blog. But then, as most things go in Tanzania and life, it didn't exactly happen as planned. It's not like I haven't thought of funny/witty stories, or haven't been on the internet in the past 4 months, but due to a variety of circumstances I just haven't gotten out a blog. It's like the journal...started out solid, then puttered out. I'm going to say its because I've gotten busier. right? So again, I am apologetic for my lack of new blogs. Its like I always get a fabulous idea for a blog, but by the time I get to a computer/see the next shiny object, its out of my brain, or I am too swept in by Facebook email when I get to the www. Also, if people were to start commenting again...ahem...perhaps I'd be more apt to write..maybe. :) But, its been a full few months.

The months of August and September were fast, slow, hot, cold (okay less hot), companionship  and loneliness, and pretty much every other contradiction I could through out. Karibu, Tanzania, the land of lovely imperfections and contradictions. Getting much "work" done during the month of August was lets say, less easy than normal. It was "Sensa" time (the census) and school was closed, partly due to this reason. My health group in the village were pretty absent, and a few other things I wanted to get rolling were kind of at a standstill. So, I started my chalkboard (my new favorite project), played with Shedrack and Selhie, tried to start a garden, hosted a shadower, and most recently, went to multiple Peace Corps trainings and conferences. So, back to the black board was an idea after seeing a smaller one painted at a friends house, I decided to capitalize on the fact I live in the middle of town and there are constantly people walking by, you know lemonades out of lemons or something like that. :) It started out as a possible teaching spot for the hoardes of little children that live near me, but then I thought it might be a really great way to reach other adults I may not come across on a normal basis, and it would be a like a village health advertisement board. I think the colored chalk really takes the cake/interests the kids as they walk by. Anyway, it is really small, but that has been/is my philosophy towards my service; to quote Peter Jensen, "small, do-able actions." So while other things haven't progressed or regressed, this little project has been a favorite/time occupier on those slow days. 

In September, they announced the dates the new health and environment trainees (henceforth "newbs" in chelseaspeak), and announced that we could help to train the new class. I am the closest to the training site they will be at the whole two months, so I knew I'd be able to pop in and out, but I was also lucky enough to be able to spend the first week here in country with them..this past week! It's so strange to me that there are NEW volunteers...what does that make us? It also has set in a strange, mid-service/life crisis...I have alot to get done! It will happen when it happens I guess. The new pct (that's code for peace corps trainees) are a really fun, sweet, group. Who had lots of questions. :) 

So for now, it's back to the village. I learned recently from a PC language teacher about "maisha plus." They explained it as when a person from a city (aka DAR) goes to stay in the village to live life without modern conviences (ie water, electricity, etc). So they asked if I lived as "maisha plus." I assured them that my lovely abode was indeed maisha plus. In Kiswahili, Maisha is LIFE. So it basically means Life PLUS. And you know what, it really is a blessing in disguise, and definitely making me realize the truly important things in life. <3

So, while I should continue on, I am heading out in the morning for home; the vil. After 3+weeks of trainings, Americans, good food, electricity, and running water, the transition to the village is always tougher, but I am also looking forward to my "maisha plus" again. 

I promise to be better/write down ideas/etc. :) Still LOVING the snail mail. Hope America is well. Also, this week is my ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY in country. just saying. Next blog will probably be a reflection of that past year. Will hopefully have that before the 2nd anniversary!

1 comment:

  1. It is an odd time, when your the "old" volunteer but don't feel like it. I am glad you have found a project to work on. I hope the readjustment back to the village is a smooth one.

    ReplyDelete